Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Kentucky Horses and Bourbon and More


Manchester Farm Sunrise in Lexington Kentucky
In April of 2019, I visited in and around Lexington, Kentucky to photograph horses and two stops on the Bourbon Trail.  I was with a group from Canon, even though I saw one photographer carrying a Nikon!  I capture images with the new mirrorless Canon EOS R.  On this trip, I brought the EF 17-40mm and the RF 25-105mm lenses.  At the racetrack, I borrowed the Canon 100mm-400mm lens.  
Curious Horses Wondering Why I Was Up so Early!

The first stop was the Manchester Farm of Lexington, Kentucky for some sunrise photos.  This was about a ten minute drive from our host hotel but it still meant a very early morning wake-up call.  The iconic white fences you see at these farms I found out cost something like $14 a foot, so DON’T TOUCH THE FENCES.  If I visit again, I’m going to contact Manchester for a tour.  By the way, the dogwoods were in bloom.  I don't see that often in Phoenix, so I had to photograph.  
Racing Action at Keeneland in Lexington

Right next door was Keeneland Racecourse in Lexington.  I had time to wander around and walked outside the horse stalls, talking to workers as I went along.  Horse people, I’ve found, are the friendliest people around!  They welcomed me as I peeked around taking photographs.  
In the Stalls at Keeneland

Post Time at Keeneland was 1pm, so our group walked over to the 3rd and 4th turn on the grass to get action photos.  I’m used to this because I’ve photographed Turf Paradise in Phoenix.  To capture action, I had to make sure my shutter speed was at least 1/1000 of a second.  I was secretly hoping for rain this day so I could capture mudder horses.  That opportunity just doesn’t happen in Phoenix.  But it was dry.  Not a problem!  
Dogwoods in Bloom
High Dynamic Range Capture in the Cask Room at Buffalo Trace
Next up was a visit to Buffalo Trace Bourbon Distillery in Frankfort, Kentucky, part of the Bourbon Trail.  Hanna the intern helped get the group around to capture great images in the cask room and elsewhere on the grounds.  
Shaker Village Scene

Another stop was at Shaker Village in Pleasant Hill. In the early 1800s, there was a religious order that was celibate so they died out.  But they left behind interesting buildings.
Maker's Mark Bourbon Waiting to be Bottled

Our final stop back on the Bourbon Trail was Maker’s Mark of Loretto, Kentucky.  It’s OUT THERE.  Lots of driving on very narrow roads, what I call “Irish Freeways.”  Then, up pops a distillery.  After early morning photos, Christopher our tour guide showed us around, ending at the cask room and tasting room.  Here I found out to be considered bourbon, it needs at least 51% corn.  What an education.  And what great bourbon.  
Special Mint Julep Bourbon and it was GOOD!
My entire photography portfolio is on SmugMug.  And, here's my Instagram feed.


Until My Next Adventure,

See You On Down the Road!

Jim Patterson

Here's a slideshow of all of my photos.... ENJOY!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would enjoy knowing what you think... please leave a comment.