Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Lost Dutchman Rodeo 1 March 2020


February and March means rodeo season in Southern and Central Arizona.    


Sunday 1 March was the finals of the Lost Dutchman Rodeo in Apache Junction, Arizona, just a short drive east from the Phoenix metropolitan area.   The rodeo grounds are in the shadow of the Superstition Mountains and the legend that there is a fortune in lost gold nearby.

It was our first visit to this rodeo.  It's a long ride from north north Phoenix, so I was hoping it would be good.   Here's a nice surprise.  All lathered up for the sun, I find the stands are in the shade!   No complaints here.   

And what I've come to expect from rodeos, the friendliest people around!   And, of course, very patriotic.

Most of the rodeos I've photographed have one ladies event, barrel racing.  At the Lost Dutchman Rodeo, add to that ladies breakaway (the rope breaks off as soon as its roped) calf roping.   I haven't seen that event in many years.  Now I hear our Cave Creek Rodeo at the end of March will have two events for the women, too.

Next rodeo up in the area is the Parada del Sol Scottsdale Rodeo, then the Cave Creek Rodeo.

All images captured with a Canon EOS R and Tamron 100-400mm lens.  Post production in Lightroom and a few paintings produced with Simplify 4.   


Until My Next Adventure,

See you on down the road,



Here's a slideshow of all of my photos.... ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would enjoy knowing what you think... please leave a comment.